The site is closed for the winter will reopen on Monday, April 17, 2023. The 2023 tour season will run until December 15, 2023. Tickets for the 2023 season are available now!
We look forward to your visit! Please note the following:
Plan your visit
– Tickets are required for admission. Access to the site is via tour only.
– Please check ticket availability prior to your visit.
– Tours are run rain or shine. In the event of rain, please bring umbrellas, rain coats, etc.
– Please note the last tour of the day departs for the site at 3:45pm (Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday) and 3:00pm (Sunday) from April through October. The last tour of the day in November and December departs at 2:30 pm.
– Advance reservations are highly recommended as tours often sell out.
– All tours of the Glass House originate from the Visitor Center + Design Store at 199 Elm Street, New Canaan CT, 06840.
– Tours are taken to and from the site in a shuttle from the Visitor Center.
– Parking is NOT available at the Visitor Center. Parking is available in a municipal metered lot on Park Street, approximately 5 minutes walk from the Visitor Center. Parking passes which allow for all-day parking in metered lots can be purchased for $4.00 at checkout. Please select “parking pass” at ticket checkout to have parking pass included in your order. Otherwise, metered parking is $1 per hour (3 hour maximum) payable by cash or credit card at the kiosk in the parking lot. Lots are metered or require parking passes on weekdays and Saturday. All parking is free on Sunday.
– All children must be at least ten years old to participate in tours and must be accompanied by an adult. We regret that car seat regulations regarding the use of car seats in our shuttle prevent us from transporting any infants and younger children to the site.
– Masks are recommended, but not required, to be worn while inside the Visitor Center, shuttle, and inside the buildings at the site. Masks are not required while outside at the site.
– Please note the Brick House is closed for a preservation project.
New Digital Guide
– Enhance your experience at The Glass House with our Digital Guide, a part of Bloomberg Connects.
Our most concise tour, focusing on The Glass House and its promontory, with a minimum of walking. Available on Monday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
Our most popular tour includes The Glass House, Painting Gallery, Sculpture Gallery, outdoor sculpture, and Da Monsta, with a three-quarter mile walk over grass and paths. Available on Monday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
The Extended Tour affords time to visit Philip Johnson’s Studio, as well as The Glass House, Painting Gallery, Sculpture Gallery, outdoor sculpture, and Da Monsta. This tour includes a one-mile walk on paths and grass. Available on Monday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Participants must be able to climb hills of moderate grade and stand for extended lengths of time. We regret that visitors using wheelchairs or scooters are not permitted on this tour.
Self-guided tours are available on Sundays from April through October. Self-guided tours are not available in November and December.
Explore the Glass House campus at your own pace on days dedicated to self-guided visits to the site. Educators will be available across the site to provide information and answer questions. Visitors on self-guided tour days will have access to The Glass House, Painting Gallery, Sculpture Gallery, Studio, Pavilion in the Pond, Monument to Lincoln Kirstein and both upper and lower landscapes. Please note this option is not available in November or December. Picnicking, professional photography, tripods, and easels are not permitted. Participants must be able to climb hills of moderate grade and stand for extended lengths of time. We regret that visitors using wheelchairs or scooters are not permitted on this tour.
Available for parties greater than 13 people. A variety of experiences are offered, including: focus tours, after school tours, and academic tours. Groups larger than 13 are accommodated by booking sequential tours with staggered departure times. For more information or to check availability please contact Troyce Smith, Group Tour Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 203-978-3015.
Private tours are available by appointment and offer an in-depth experience of the site geared toward your specific interests. This tour provides unparalleled access to the buildings, art and design collections, and landscape. Please contact Isabel Richards at email@example.com or 203.978.3011 to inquire about availability.
This tour is currently available for group visits by request.
Our most comprehensive tour, the In-depth Tour includes the Glass House, Painting Gallery, Sculpture Gallery, Da Monsta, Studio as well as the lower landscape with the Pavilion in the Pond and the Monument to Lincoln Kirstein. This tour includes 1 1/2 miles walking outside over uneven terrain and moderately steep paths. Please note this tour is not available in December. Participants must be able to climb hills of moderate grade and stand for extended lengths of time. We regret that visitors using wheelchairs or scooters are not permitted on this tour.